Quality education for hundreds of millions of underprivileged children
We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not achieve foundational skills like literacy and basic numeracy – despite the majority of them going to school.
At EIDU, we create the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our platform distributes interactive learning content to students and teachers, personalizes their learning experience, and optimizes the content being delivered to the children based on their progress.
It has been successfully rolled out to private and public schools in Kenya, where we work closely with the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development and the government.
All the schools in the pilot program reported remarkable progress
— Director of Education, Mombasa County
With a mission like EIDU’s, diversity of thought and background within our team is crucial. We value those who can bring a diverse perspective to our platform and help us provide high-quality education to as many children as we can across the globe.
EIDU is currently funded by well-known development agencies, foundations, and impact investors, and we are about to tap into the billion-dollar education market.
What we offer
- An international and passionate team located in Kenya and Germany, who support and help each other grow to achieve the great goal we set out for.
- A welcoming engineering team with whom you will build high-quality software by applying DevOps and striving for great software craftsmanship. Current tech stack:
- Apps: Kotlin, Android, Room, Jetpack Compose, continuous integration (GitHub Actions)
- Backend: Kotlin, AWS, MongoDB, microservices, infrastructure as code (Terraform), serverless (Lambda/ECS Fargate), continuous deployment (GitHub Actions)
- Web: React, TypeScript, continuous deployment (GitHub Actions)
- Our stack is evolving, as we are always looking for the best tool for the job while at the same time keeping the stack as streamlined and as unified as possible. Anyone is invited to propose new technologies.
- Unique technical opportunities given the environment that we operate in: low-cost devices, limited connectivity, non-tech-savvy users, massive scale.
- A modern company culture that emphasizes transparency and autonomy. We care about results, not time spent at the office, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours, vacations, and the place you choose to work (including fully remote within a 3-hour flight radius).
- Agile and data-driven decision-making on all levels of the organization.
- Quarterly one-week hackathons where we freely explore new ideas.
- Exciting field trips to visit our users in Kenya.
- A competitive salary with defined and transparent salary ranges – you don’t have to negotiate to be paid what you’re worth.
- A (seriously) unparalleled equity scheme.
- Social impact like no one else: we are working to fix one of the world’s biggest problems.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- A minimum of three years of experience in writing code.
- A proven record of developing production-grade software in a team.
- A passion for writing clean, maintainable, and testable code. An interest in functional programming is a plus.
- Full-stack experience is a plus.
- Experience with our tech stack is not required; we care about your software engineering skills rather than what technologies you have used!
If all this resonates with you, please get in touch with us at [email protected] We are eager to get to know you!
We are happy to help with paperwork upon relocation to Berlin if needed. If you feel strong resonance with our mission and think you can make a significant contribution, please email us at [email protected] We look forward to hearing from you and to working together on an exciting chance to make a global change.