The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) is an independent EU Authority with the mission to enhance investors’ protection and promote stable and orderly financial markets.
For further information, please refer to ESMA’s website: http://www.esma.europa.eu
ESMA is organising a selection procedure for the post of Head of Department (Investor Protection and Sustainable Finance) to staff one vacant post and to constitute a reserve list of suitable candidates.
The purpose of the position is to lead, direct and coordinate the Department, to ensure the achievement of the department objectives and to contribute to ESMA’s strategic orientation.
The Department consists of four Units, the Corporate Finance and Reporting Unit, the Sustainable Finance Unit, the Investor Protection & Intermediaries Unit and the Investment Management Unit.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
Policy and Supervisory convergence:
- Driving the policy development and analysis of regulatory developments at European Level in the fields of Investment Management, Investor Protection, Corporate Finance, Corporate Reporting, and Sustainable Finance;
- Driving the supervisory convergence work in the areas under the responsibility of the Department, using various tools to achieve greater consistency in the application of legislation and effectiveness of supervision across national supervisory authorities;
- Providing strategic direction in the areas of Sustainable Finance and Investor Protection to support ESMA’s delivery on these key strategic priorities, and
- Supporting the work and activities of ESMA’s relevant Standing Committees.
Management of the Department:
- Leading the Investors and Issuers Department, and building on the strengths of the individuals in creating a strong team;
- Acting as a channel for the exchange of information between senior management and the staff members of the Department;
- Being directly responsible for the management and coordination of the human resources of the Department with the support of the four Heads of Units;
- Defining the Department work programme, coordinating work with other departments, and representing the Department in management meetings, before senior management, and before the Management Board and the Board of Supervisors;
- Setting the objectives of the Units within the Department, monitoring and assessing achievements to meet the objectives within the set deadlines and in accordance with high quality standards;
- Managing, motivating, and supporting Heads of Units towards the attainment of objectives and the motivation and engagement of staff;
- Developing and fostering strong relations with National Competent Authorities, EU institutions and other relevant stakeholders, and
- Providing regular reporting to the Executive Director and ESMA Boards on the work under his/her responsibility.
- Implementing ESMA’s strategic orientation and developing multi-annual/annual planning (defining the Department’s work programme, annual management plans and activity reports in co-operation with other Departments);
- Fostering strong strategic relations and enhancing cooperation with national securities regulators, EU institutions, EBA/EIOPA/ESRB (European System of Financial Supervision institutions) including through the Joint Committee, non-EU regulators, and other relevant stakeholders in the areas of competencies;
- Representing ESMA and the Investors and Issuers Department externally, whether in conferences and seminars or bilaterally with stakeholders, and
- Supporting the efficient management of ESMA by being an active contributor to the Management Team and to the collective work to achieve the Authority’s strategic objectives.
Professional qualifications and other requirements Eligibility criteria
To be considered eligible, candidates must satisfy all the eligibility criteria listed below, by the deadline for submitting applications:
Have at least a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of four years attested by a diploma, and after having obtained the diploma, fifteen years of proven professional experience (both must be acquired in a field corresponding to the nature of the duties covered by the job description);
Have at least a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of three years attested by a diploma, and after obtained the diploma, sixteen years of proven professional experience (both must be acquired in a field corresponding to the nature of the duties covered by the job description);
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union or the EEA (Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland);
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service;
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union, and
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
Selection criteria Essential requirements
- At least five (5) years of experience as a manager – please detail number of direct and indirect reports;
- Experience in the public or private sector in policy or supervision related activities in the area of financial markets;
- Experience in setting strategic direction and planning, as well as implementing work plans;
- Experience with negotiating policy proposals with a variety of stakeholders; and
- Excellent written and oral English and clear and concise writing style.
- Experience in one or more of the areas covered by the Department: investor protection, corporate finance and reporting, investment management or sustainable finance; in the private and/or public sector
- Experience in working in a multicultural environment; and
- Motivation for the advertised position.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop a strategic vision for the Department and its contribution to the broader organisation’s objectives (leadership skills);
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop the potential of teams with multinational and multidisciplinary backgrounds (management skills);
- Ability to build productive and cooperative working relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders (interpersonal skills);
- Ability to communicate clearly and present complex subjects simply, both orally and in writing, including to the members of the team (communication skills), and
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver high quality work under very tight timelines.
For further information about the role and how to apply please consult the complete vacancy notice.