Energy. Just Better.
Ostrom is the fastest-growing green & digital energy provider in Germany. We are already delivering energy in 600+ cities and have won clients from over 220 different traditional utilities. We are currently a team of 15 and growing fast, and have raised > 5m USD in VC funding.
Our mission is to reinvent the German energy industry to be fair, smart and green.
- ⚖️ Fair: Flexible, monthly rolling contract. One transparent tariff with no 12-24 month lock-ins for new & long-time customers.
- 🌲 Green: Only 100% sustainable energy. We only buy from renewable energy sources, no compromise.
- 📱 Smart: Digital-first power management. English & German signup & contracts, responsive live customer chat, everything in-app.
What You’ll Be Keeping Busy With
We looking for a Backend Engineer to join our team. As part of a cross-functional team, you will be developing modern APIs and automating workflows, check out our current stack here.
- Design and implement backend solutions from scratch.
- Involved in tech-stack decisions to choose the best frameworks, tools and processes for our team.
- Build a scalable renewable energy platform and automated jobs with cutting-edge technologies.
- Minimum 3+ years experience in backend development.
- Experience with Typescript and/or Python.
- Comfortable with AWS services.
- Experience designing APIs.
- Experience with Relational Databases.
- Working with CI/CD automation workflows (Docker, GitHub Actions)
- Experience in high code quality, unit testing, integration testing and E2E testing.
- Comfortable with greenfield projects.
- Good communication skills and fluency in English.
Nice To Have
- Experience with payments or CRM systems.
Feel free to share with us your Github/GitLab profile or open-source projects you contributed to.
- Environmental Impact: Each customer who switches to Ostrom on average helps offset 1.5 tons of CO2 emissions per year compared to the average German energy mix.
- Flexibility: We offer a flexible work model. Want to work remotely? No problem! Want to come into the office? We would love to have you! Our office is located in Berlin, Mitte which includes a roof terrace and is dog friendly.
- Trust-based Team: A truly flat hierarchy and transparent company culture, everyone’s voice really matters. We have one daily call and we also hate bureaucratic meetings.
- Relocation package: we wont let distance get in the way, we offer visa and relocation support.
- Stock options: On top of offering a competitive salary you will have access to company shares to ensure you can truly be part of the journey.
- Team events: We hold monthly team-events to ensure we can celebrate our achievements and weekly Friday drinks at the office!
- Benefits: We offer various benefits from discounted electricity, gym membership, e-bike or e-moped subscription via DANCE, or monthly vouchers. The choice is yours!
- Development budget: As your development matters to us, you will receive an annual budget to attend trainings and conferences of your choice.
- Bring Your Stack Over: If you love certain tools or processes and we don’t have one yet, or you think it would be an improvement over what we have right now, please bring it over!